Around 700 islands that gather up to create the Bahamas have its presence in the Lucayan Archipelago in the West Indies. This charming and idyllic country pulls millions of tourists every year due to its pink sand beaches, Dean’s Blue Hole, swimming pigs and many other attractions. From its glorious beaches to the fabulous coral reefs, this country has a lot to offer for its valuable visitors to let them enjoy a countless number of fun and exciting activities. In this blog, we have come up with a detailed Nassau Bahamas Travel Guide. Read the points carefully before heading for a vacation in the Bahamas.
Geography Of Bahamas
The Bahamas owns a chain of islands, stretching up to 500 miles in the Atlantic Ocean. It has its surrounding with Florida in the west, Cuba, and Hispaniola in the south, and British Overseas Territory of the Turks and Caicos Islands in the east.
Bahamas climate is mostly tropical savannah, having hot and wet season & cold and dry season. In most of the Bahamian Islands, the hottest and coldest temperatures vary from just 7 degrees.
Most Famous Tourist Attractions in the Bahamas:
There are innumerable tourist attractions in the Bahamas that can make you feel rejuvenated and relaxed. In this brief Nassau Bahamas travel guide, we have mentioned all the important tourist attractions for you to visit with your family and loved ones.
Andros Barrier Reef: The third-largest barrier reef system in the world, Andros Barrier Reef is considered the most famous tourist attraction in the country. No doubt it’s like a heaven for divers who are interested in the underwater world. Snorkeling and Scuba Diving are the best way to explore this spot
Treasure Cay: One of the most beautiful beaches, Treasure Cay is popular for its soft sand and clear water. A large marina located on the island regularly hosts many seasonal fishing tournaments, golf courses, and tennis courts.
Nassau: It has the most popular cruise ship ports and also home to the Cable Beach, numerous shops, fine restaurants, revered museums, and colonial buildings. Blue Lagoon Island is another tourist spot where you can reach by a short catamaran ride.
Atlantis Paradise Island: An ocean-themed resort in the Bahamas, Atlantis Paradise Island features a salty and freshwater lagoon, water slides, and other thrilling rides. Swordfish and hammerhead sharks can also be seen in their marine habitat.
Grand Bahamas: Located in the northernmost part of the Bahamas islands, the Grand Bahamas is a popular cruise ship destination. It is an ideal attraction for the nature lovers the has the longest underwater cave system in the world, and many native bird species can also be seen at the place.
Long Island: One of the most beautiful islands in the Bahamas chain, Long Island is home to sandy beaches, rocky cliffs, and the world’s deepest known saltwater blue hole, i.e. Dean’s Blue Hole. Long Island Regatta is also organized in the island at Salt Pond every summer.
How to Reach The Bahamas?
You can reach the Bahamas by flying to the airport in the country, or you can ride a cruise to one of the ports situated at the island chain or can Book Cheap Flights to Bahamas.
Major Airports in the Country:
There are five active major international airports in the Bahamas.
- Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
- Grand Bahama International Airport (FPO)
- Leonard M. Thompson International Airport (MHH)
- Exuma International Airport (GGT)
- Rock Sound International Airport (RSD)
You can Book Your Flights to the Bahamas with Any of These Below airlines:
Best Time to Visit the Bahamas:
The best time to visit the Bahamas is from mid-December to mid-April, which is the country’s peak season for tourists. Here, the temperature seems to be moderate round the year. During this time, you can also witness various enjoyable festivals like Abaco Christmas Festival, Bahamas International Film Festival, and Bahamas Music & Heritage Festival.
Popular Festivals of the Country:
Despite being an island, the Bahamas is home to a lot of vibrant and exciting festivals. If you have any plans to visit the Bahamas, make sure that you have booked tickets according to the schedule of the festivals. Read our Bahamas travel guide to know more about the best of events and festivals.
Long Island Regatta: Bahamians are too connected with their culture, and the Long Island Regatta is all about rejoicing its vibrant tradition. It is celebrated each year in the month of June each and lasts for at least three days.
All Andros Crab Festival: The celebration of All Andros Crab Festival takes place at the Fresh Creek Queen’s park, many food booths are settled up in the park along with Live musical performances. What makes this fest heaven for food lovers is the amazing variety of crab dishes being served for the visitors.
Bahamas International Film Festival: A weeklong fest of movies and short films, Bahamas International Film Festival offers screenings, parties, educational forums, and seminars. Many celebrities like Johny Depp and Naomie Harris have shown up at the event.
Bahamas Travel Guide on Packing
- Consider the weather and the outdoor activities before starting to pack your bags for the Bahamas vacation. Don’t forget to pack clothes, including swimsuits and sweatshirts as the temperature is mostly cool out there. Toiletries like toothbrush, paste, hair products, and sunscreen must be included in the packing.
- Hat and a pair of sunglasses should be carried to the beach to protect your eyes from the harmful sun rays during your excursion.
- Smartphone, portable chargers, camera, and headphones will be packed in a handy bag to get easy access to them to avoid boring journeys without entertainment.
- A medical kit must be packed also in the handy bag to avoid any big injuries or infections. Some basic medicines to avoid injury infections and stomach problems should be in your packing list.
- A guide book of the destination with a map should be stored at the place with the easiest access to protect you from missing at the new place.
Famous restaurants in the Bahamas:
In our Nassau Bahamas Travel Guide, we have also mentioned the two main restaurants that offer exclusive cuisines and perfectly soothes your taste buds. Make sure that you have paid a visit to any of the below-given restaurants in the Bahamas.
- Banana Bay: Located at the Fortune Beach, this restaurant provides the customers with scenic ocean views while serving mouth-watering Bahamian and American cuisines.
- Flying Fish Gastro Bar: Paying attention to the local seafood and ingredients, the renowned chefs at the Flying Fish Gastro Bar promise you with finger-licking cuisines that you cannot afford to miss. It is a must-visit eatery in the place, which is also amongst the top ten restaurants in the Caribbean.
Bahamas Travel Guide on a Budget Trip:
- Couchsurfing is a common practice here amongst the budget travelers. Stay with the locals who have extra couches or beds.
- Nightclub passes can be availed from locals or even from the taxi drivers. Using the passes would help you to save bigger on club hopping.
- Alcohol is not at all cheap in the Bahamas. But, local beer and rum are comparatively cheaper.
- Instead of bottled water, opt for tap water here as tap water is safe in the Bahamas.
Things not to miss in the Bahamas:
- Spend some quality time at Pink Sands Resort
- Walk through the Downtown Nassau
- Take out time for island hopping
- Snorkeling off the coast
- Go on a boat tour and enjoy picturesque views
Nassau Bahamas Travel Guide on Transportation:
There are some options available to get around the Bahamas, including the public buses, car taxis, water taxis and cruises. To travel between the islands, water taxis are the most preferred way of transportation, and car taxis are used to travel within the islands. You can also use Intra-Island Air Service to travel to the other islands in the country.